Attendance: Erin K, Connie C, Susan F, Mark B, Terry P, Debbie W, Jim & June F
Upcoming Important Dates:
HCA Meeting – April 17th, Huntingtown United Methodist Church, Celebration Hall
Susan discussed the website, Twitter, and Google+ pages she created. We agreed we should have a Facebook page as well, on top of the Huntingtown Citizens Information Group. And Susan said she would set up the paid domain for the website Monday, after which, everything could go public. We also discussed working on having everyone on the mailing list eventually subscribe to the website for information and updates.
Jim discussed his conversation with Evan S. Evan affirmed that now is the time to start working with the commissioners on the zoning and planning issues for Huntingtown, as most issues take at least two years from start to implementation. Evan advised we make contact with the commissioners, and request Huntingtown specific information be sent to us; have someone(s) read all planning and zoning information the commissioners put out, and translate it to the rest of the group; and have someone(s) write back suggestions to the commissioners based on all information. Evan also advised we have one or more people attend meetings as much as possible and get to the know the staff.
The terminology of “rural village” was also discussed. Jim discovered that term does not currently exist as a description of any place in the county. Several people he talked to said we would have to define it ourselves and then get the commissioners to agree to implement it as a zoning term. Erin brought up several businesses being most concerned about how going from a “Town Center” to a “Rural Village” would affect their taxes. The group agreed we will have to cover that issue, along with many others (e.g. – water, sewage, etc).
June reported she had talked to several folks at Huntingtown High School, but was unable to find out who is the head of the Key Club. She’ll keep working on it.
Erin reported Claire had talked to a few people, including Gordon, about the past HCA, but doesn’t know what information she has yet been able to obtain from them. Jim had also talked to Linda K, and she said she had some stuff about the past HCA, and would get back to him with it.
The meeting on the 17th of April was discussed as well. Erin emailed Tom B, Director of Community Planning and Building at Calvert County, and asked if he would speak at the meeting. He agreed to send someone. We agreed the main talking point from the representative should be going over what would be discussed at the Commissioners’ planning and zoning meeting on the 21st that was specific to Huntingtown. And we broke up tasks in relation to that meeting (found in Action Items below). We also agreed on a blurb for various publications to announce the meeting, “A representative of Community Planning and Building will be coming to discuss the rewrite of the Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Overview in relation to Huntingtown. For more information, go to huntingtowncitizensassociation.com or call Mark B.”
- Susan will buy the huntingtowncitizensassociation.com domain.
- Susan will create a Facebook page for HCA.
- Erin will share with everyone how to get the notes for the Planning Commission meetings.
- Erin & Terry will follow up with Tom B regarding the meeting on the 17th & email the HCA Leadership Team about the details by April 11th.
- Erin & Mark will work on defining what a “rural village” is exactly.
- June will continue to track down the head of the Key Club at HHS.
- Claire will continue tracking down past HCA information, charters, and such.
- Debbie will list the April 17th meeting in the newspaper, various free online listing sites, and the radio.
- Lori will create and pass out flyers for the April 17th meeting.
- Erin will find out what the representative from Tom’s office will need for the meeting, and Debbie will get it set up for the meeting.
- Mark’s wife, Crystal, will print out 5 sign-in sheets for the April 17th meeting.
- Erin will film the meeting.
- Pictures will either be taken by a HHS Key Club student or HCA Leadership Team members.
- Susan and Mark will write up a press release about the meeting for the newspaper.