Comprehensive Plan/Calvert 2040
Current Status: FINAL VOTE at Public Hearing onTuesday July 23, 2019 at 5pm **at the Calvert Pines Senior Center, West Dares Beach Rd, Prince Frederick. You must sign up to be a speaker by 6pm. You can speak for 2 minutes as an individual, or 5 minutes if you represent a group.
This Plan is THE OFFICIAL POLICY DOCUMENT for Calvert County. It will set the stage for decades to come. It’s used by the county to make decisions big and small; from who can have backyard chickens to how we spend the FY2020 $312,915,075 for the General Fund. It’s used by the State to give us money, by bond rating agencies to loan us money, by prospective businesses which bring in tax money. And finally it’s used by residents…or should that say uses the residents?
Did you know the July 2019 draft of the Comprehensive Plan:
- Terminates the distinction between Major and Minor Town Centers (TC).
- Expands TC boundaries before their citizens update the town master plans.
- Eliminates policy links between growth and adequate public facilities like roads, schools, a safe water supply, etc.
- Removes the 37,000 household build-out.
- Hinges on a stale capacity analysis from 2017; not one based on the details of this
- Expands Huntingtown TC east across MD 4 to create a traffic bottleneck but upzones a Commissioner’s own property.
Stop and think. How would these changes affect your quality of life? Will your small town mushroom out with apartments and huge retail buildings? Will you need 45 more minutes to drive to work or your kids’ sports on time? Will classrooms have 28 or more kids and be in a trailer? Will your taxes go up? Your home is likely your biggest investment…how will its value be affected?
**The public hearing is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday July 23rd, 2019. Can you make it in time? On page 7-2 the Plan says approximately 60% of Calvert residents commute outside the county on the roads a considerable time. Can you commuters make it to Calvert Pines Senior Center Auditorium in Prince Frederick by 5pm? And is you don’t sign in by 6pm, you can’t speak. You can also e-mail the BoCC at email@example.com
Land use MAP: Find your home or business…
Petition: From a fellow civic group asking for the Comp Plan to better control future growth.
New Things Coming to Huntingtown
More info posted soon…